You may have the education, skills and experience to excel in a career you love but as you get settled in your new country, making the right connections to pursue your career dreams can be a challenge. Add to that complicated licensure and certification steps; the foreign credentialing process can be super overwhelming.
The good news is that help is available!
If you are a foreign-trained professional hoping to pursue your career goals but need support, the Career Paths for Skilled Immigrants at The Inter-Cultural Association of Greater Victoria (ICA) has you covered.
Recognizing the challenges that come with entering the workforce in a new country, ICA supports newcomers by bridging the gap for professionals looking to get back into the labour force and return to skilled employment.
Employment is an important part of social integration, as it affords the ability to reintegrate that part of your identity into your new home.
With Career Paths services and support, you can take advantage of the following:
- Job search strategies, such as assistance with cover letter and resume writing, gaining insights into occupation-specific information.
- Financial support for skills and training to align with Canadian occupational requirements.
- Creating and encouraging connections with local employers.
- Support with accessing hidden job markets through mentorship and professional networking services.
- Finding information for additional certifications you might need to pursue your career.
- Helping you understand the credential evaluation and recognition process for your given field.
- Offering insight into regulatory bodies and requirements.
- Learning more about potential internship opportunities near you that are relevant to your career field
The benefits of encouraging diversity in the workplace are plentiful. A diverse work community encourages higher levels of cultural literacy which, in turn, affects business policies and operations positively as they promote a global perspective – an economic key to success. Workplace diversity also allows communities to benefit from the skills you’re bringing to Canada. This is especially important as we continue to experience a deficit in skilled workers.
If you’re a newcomer to Canada seeking a meaningful career that aligns with your pre-arrival experience and training, take advantage of the Career Paths for Skilled Immigrants today!